What does it mean to be a follower of Christ? I ask this question because I see some of my friends, including myself, with their religious views on facebook saying they are a "Follower of Christ," "Follower of Jesus Christ," or a "Disciple of Christ." For me, I am proud to be a follower of Christ. I want people to identify me as a follower of Christ. However, people do not always see that side of me. Honestly, it is a challenge to follow in Christ's footsteps because no matter how hard we can try to be like Him, in the end, we are not Him. I find it difficult to follow in his footsteps sometimes because there are so many challenging things to do. For example, as a follower of Christ, I am supposed to love my neighbors, friends, and family, but I am also supposed to love and pray for my enemies and those who persecute against me. Loving your enemies seems like a hard thing to do, but it is through love that leads nonbelievers to Christ. Love is the reason why Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice. This is just one example of the challenge of being called a Follower of Christ. Just imagine many more.
Even though it is a daily challenge here on earth to walk in Jesus' footsteps, the benefits and the rewards, in the end, will by far exceed the difficulties, troubles, pain, and persecution. The challenge of being a Follower of Christ is what strengthens a person's faith and trust in God. It is how we grow intimate with God on a daily basis. The key to being a follower of Christ is your intimate relationship with Christ. Personally, being in a relationship with Jesus Christ is so precious and wonderful because I know God loves me for who I am. I know he accepts me as one of his own. Without this intimate relationship, it is so easy to stray from the path that God has planned out for you. The true purpose of life is to develop a deep relationship with God and to rely on him. When you rely on him, good things will come.
Finally, there is a difference in saying you are a follower of Christ and showing that you are a follower of Christ. As a disciple, it is important to show others who you truly are. Just saying you are a follower does not mean much until you are a living, breathing Christ-like example. This is another challenge I have, but it is a beneficial challenge, not just for me but for anyone around me. My ultimate goal here on Earth is to be a Christ-like example/role model in my attitude and in my behavior. It is definitely going to take hard work to achieve this goal, but I like a good challenge. I like to be challenged with school, work, and even in my writing. Challenge is what makes me develop personally and professionally. So, I like when God tests my faith or challenges me to do things outside of my comfort zone. I can see and feel God's love more through the difficult and challenging times because it is through the difficult times that make me strive toward being a Christ-like example. It is through the challenges that make me hunger for Jesus. It is through the pain and trials that give me hope for the future. God's challenges for me make my heart stronger. When I overcome challenges and valleys in this world, I feel close to God. I feel better suited and prepared to be a follower of Christ because I learn to rely on him for everything in this world. He is all I need or ever wanted.
Being a follower of Christ takes full commitment and dedication to God's magnificent purpose. I do not know what lies ahead in this life for me, but I know I have God on my side to walk me through the challenges and difficulties.
No comments:
Post a Comment