Throughout this summer, I have been digging deeper and deeper into God's Word. Every time I wake up in the morning, I have this thirst for knowledge to get to know Jesus Christ and who he really is, so I can walk by his side in a close, intimate relationship. When I read what God has to say, honestly, I pay less attention to the facts and little details and more to the overall spiritual message that I can apply to my daily life. God's message for us is homework for the soul. It is how we improve our relationship with God's Son, our relationship with others, and our passion for wanting to get to know him more each and every day.
It is so easy to read the Bible for our own personal gain. What do I mean by this? Reading for our own personal gain means many things. When you read the Bible, you have to make sure you put God's Word into action by living out loud for Jesus. If you read the Bible every day, but you do not set a Christ-like example in this world, you gain and learn nothing. Your relationship with Jesus just keeps going around in circles. Do not read the Bible because your parents, pastor, or somebody else tells you to or because you have a reading schedule you have to keep up with.
God's Word is the greatest book you can ever read in this world. In fact, it is the most stolen book in the world as well. It is important to set aside special, quiet time when reading. When you read the Bible, you are spending special, valuable, and quality time with God. If you have a hard time finding something to read inside the Bible, let God steer your heart. When you turn to a specific page, God led you to that one page for a reason. He wants you to dig deeper into that passage because he has a purpose for you.
Digging into God's Word should not be about gaining more knowledge and wisdom than the people around you. Facts and information should not be used to show off how much you know, but they should be used to lead others to Christ and share God's Word with those who may or may not believe. You need to put what you learn into practice in the real world, so others may see your Christ-like attitude and behavior. We are all children of God. We are a part of God's family. We are ambassadors for Christ, so we must show and tell the world who are King and Savior really is.
When I read a passage of Scripture, I find it helpful to write journal entries of what I read. This technique helps me understand the overall message better because my thoughts and ideas are written out and organized on paper. A lot of the things in my journal have ended up on this blog site because I like to share what I learned from God, and I hope that I can inspire and lead others closer to Christ with my gift of writing. Also, I find it beneficial to write down key Bible verses in my journal in order to help me remember what I read for the day. Plus, many of the verses I write down are inspirational pieces of advice and important words that Jesus said. Another thing I do when I sit down and read God's Word is I underline significant sentences in a passage. So, if I read the passage again in the future, I can see what God is teaching me, and I can make new discoveries. I also use study guides and booklets to help guide my reading along, but God is my ultimate Guide.
When I read the Bible, I feel like my relationship with Jesus is good, but it can always be better. I feel more equipped to handle the realities and hardships of life. "Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."(Ephesians 6:17). I can share God's Word without feeling afraid of persecution or being crushed. God has taught me so many things this summer, but over this past year, I have felt a deeper connection with him. My faith and trust in him has grown so much, which has helped me keep my eye on his vision, his perfect will, and his ultimate purpose for me. I pray to God that he will teach me his ways each and everyday, so that I may follow him with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.
Reading the Bible is not about seeking knowledge for your own personal self. Reading,understanding, and seeking knowledge in God's Word is all about growing in a relationship with Jesus Christ, so that you may be a good example for friends, family, co-workers, and the strangers in this world. John 1:1 says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
The more you dig into God's Word, the more change you find in yourself. Your relationship with Jesus will be less about facts, information, rules, and guidelines. Your relationship will feel more and more like a love affair with Jesus Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment