Thursday, July 29, 2010

What's the Next Step in Life?


In today's society, it feels like we have to be continuously moving toward a goal or a dream. We have to work hard and persevere in order to accomplish tasks, get things done, and succeed. When we finish one chapter in our lives or when we are finished with one opportunity, we are already working towards something else. We are already striving to accomplish other tasks. How do we know what the next step in life really is? How do we know what we are supposed to do? For me, these questions have been a huge challenge in my life.

I got done with high school in 2009, and I am about to enter my second year at the University of Minnesota. I have goals and dreams just like everybody else, but I am having doubts in what I should do next. I have been searching for a part-time job for several months now in these bad economic times in order to pay for tuition. I have been deeply examining myself this summer to find my true identity and my true passion. I like to write, so I have been thinking maybe a Journalism or a Scientific and Technical Communication major would be something worth pursuing. I also love math. So, I have been wondering about a mathematics major or minor.

There has been so much on my mind, especially in the last two weeks, on the path I should take in order to figure out my next move. I have also been seriously considering the military, so that my higher education would be more affordable, and I would be able to have more time to search for my identity and passion.

I do not think anybody can figure out the next step in life on their own. It takes support from family and friends. More important, it takes constant prayer with God, and that is what I have been doing. Each day, I ask God for help because I know he is listening, he will answer, and he will provide for me. God knows my future before it even happens. I absolutely know God has magnificent, wonderful plans for me.

Taking the next step is about having faith and trust in Christ Jesus because Jesus is the beginning and the end; he is the author of destiny. I should not worry because I know God will reveal his purpose for me soon enough. That is why taking the next step in life is not about how much money you can make or about how much you can accomplish in life. It is about letting God be in control. Taking the next step should be about fulfilling God's purpose in order to develop a personal, intimate relationship with him on earth.

Why do we rush to get things done? Why do we feel like time is running out all the time when we try to complete tasks? I think it is important to live in the moment. Life is fleeting. Time on this earth is brief. Our demanding schedules should not be centered around work. They should be centered around God. Our goals and dreams should serve God's purpose. His vision is the best vision.

It is important to set aside private, one-on-one time with Jesus each day. If you do not have time, make time. Jesus wants to meet with each one of us on a daily basis. Maybe, you need to wake up an hour earlier than usual. Perhaps, you like to take walks. That could be your personal time with God. God is the author of our life stories. We need him in order to have hope for the future and to have strength for the moment.

I think God has been really touching me and my life these past two or three weeks. Whatever God throws at me in this life, I am ready and prepared for the challenge to follow and complete his purpose for me. He will reveal his plans for me when he thinks I am ready. God knows everything about me. He knows my next step in life, even though I have no idea. I am just so glad I have Jesus Christ as a friend inside of me. He is working in my life, so that I may share and spread his Words with people whom I meet.

Praise God for what he has done because he is so amazing. I am so glad he came to save us. Since he came to save us, our value to God is not how much we accomplish by the end of the day. Our value to God is how much we grow in our faith. Our value or worth to God is our personal relationship with him. What is the next step in life? Ask God. He has the answers, but do not forget to thank him.

"Don't worry about anything instead, pray about everything. Tell God your needs and don't forget to thank Him for His answers." Philippians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment