Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Worship Testimony: An Experience that Changed My Life


My favorite part of youth group at church was going on the retreats, especially the one at Camp Shamineau in the fall. My favorite summer childhood memory was going up to Camp Shamineau for a week meeting new friends, growing in my walk with Jesus, having interesting adventures, and playing awesome night games like Wells Fargo and Capture the Flag. Camp Shamineau was my favorite place to go. It is the place where I got stung three times in a row by three different bees. This camp helped me to really examine my life, and it provided me with some challenges to bring back home in order that I may continue to develop an intimate relationship with Jesus. The best part of my camp experience was chapel because I loved to worship. There were always cool bands up on stage. I loved singing along, even though I could not sing well. I loved doing the actions and clapping my hands. I enjoyed worshipping and having a good time. My favorite part of all the retreats I went on was the worship because I loved music. I loved to celebrate and give thanks to Jesus for what he had done for me.

My love for worship started back in elementary Sunday school. At the end of my class, all of the classes would join together for a kids' worship service led by Julie Andersen, Director of Children's Ministries at my church. She encouraged us to read the bible, memorize bible verses, learn the actions to songs, and most important, to sing loud for Jesus.

After elementary school, my love for worship simmered down. The passion cooled off. It felt like my enthusiasm was disappearing. In Junior High, I started not to care. I felt like I was better by not participating or singing. I did not want to sing because I did not know what other people would think of me since I could not sing well. I did not want to embarrass myself. Every time I tried to worship in Junior High youth group, it felt like everyone else was being "filled with the Holy Spirit," and I was being left out. When I tried to worship, I always crossed my arms, my attitude was negative, and I could not wait until it was over because I started to turn away from God, lose faith, and not rely on him anymore. When I prayed, it did not seem like I was getting an answer. It did not seem like God was listening.

I continued to attend youth group in junior high because I had some great friends I liked to hang out with on Wednesday night like Josh Gross, Kyle Terhark, and Quentin Cross, but I was deeply struggling in my walk of faith with Jesus Christ. I had an I-do-not-care attitude inside of me.

Obviously, that is not where I am today. Let me tell you about an experience that changed me. In 11th grade, I went on this winter retreat in Upsala, Minnesota, with my church. I met a lot of new people. I spent time with some old friends. I just had a blast playing broom ball, sliding, drinking hot chocolate, and watching the talent show. I came into the weekend with a negative attitude. I did not care about the weekend and would be happy when it was over. I did not believe that God had the power to bring a change in me. I did not have the faith to believe that God could give me a second chance, hope, and a renewed life.

During worship, I crossed my arms, sang softly, and ignored the words. During meals, I did not talk to anybody, and I tried to sit by myself. During free time, I spent my afternoon playing a little bit of broom ball and carpet ball, but other than that, I was alone taking pictures, thinking about my life, or just not really doing anything. No one noticed me. It was like I was invisible for most of the time. I felt lonely, depressed, and hopeless.

Then, it was Saturday night, and I saw something incredible happen to me. My youth pastor, Jeff Dexter, did something different. Most of the chapel time was dedicated to worship that night. At first, I had that I-do-not-care attitude again. Then, I realized everyone around me, and I felt alone. Then, one of my friends, Tom, put his arm around me, and he started to pray with me. I asked myself: How can someone like me with a negative attitude be so lucky to have a friend who cared about me that night? I began to cry. For the next ten minutes, while the music continued, I talked to God. When my friend put his arm around me, I found strength, hope, and lots of love. I talked to God like he was my best friend. I had tears of joy running down my cheeks because I renewed my faith and trust in him.

After talking to God for about ten or fifteen minutes, God filled me with the Holy Spirit. I was sitting in the corner of the room, but I began to listen carefully to the words of the songs. One of the songs that I still remember from that night was called, "You Never Let Go," by Matt Redman. Then, I began to sing the words, and my voice got louder and louder. I did not care what other people thought of me because during that entire experience, the only two people in the room were me and Jesus. It was amazing. This was around 10 p.m., and I was not even tired. I was energized with the Holy Spirit.

Towards the end, I stood up, and I put my hands up in the air, and I just had the best time with God. I saw the change in me. For the rest of the weekend, I had an open mind about activities, I had a positive attitude about the retreat, I listened and talked with so many people, and I had so much fun. Certainly, that night of worship goes in my top ten favorite moments of all time.

Today, I love to worship. I listen to KTIS and the REFUGE on the radio in my room and every time I am in the car. I love the special one-on-one time I get with God to praise his name. I do not care what other people think of me when I worship, even when I am clapping off the beat or when my voice is out of tune. I give it all to Jesus because he gave his life to save the world from sin. Worshipping God is not about how well you can sing. It is about how well you connect with Jesus. It is about submitting your entire life to God and letting God take control.

What is your opinion about worship? Let me leave you with some bible verses about worship:

I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.
--Psalm 9:1

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship.
--Romans 12:1

Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
--Exodus 34:14

But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.
--Psalm 59:16

Exalt the Lord our God and worship at his footstool; he is holy.
--Psalm 99:5

No comments:

Post a Comment