
One thing most people do not know about me is that I am a collector. I collect rocks, coins, baseball cards, school papers, piano compositions, and poetry I write. Why would someone want to collect things? Many people do not find value in cherishing certain things because they just take up space and do not last forever. I find it important to hold onto things because they serve as good reminders or memorial stones.
What do I mean by memorial stones? These stones are symbolic of events that happen in life and of memorable experiences or situations that a person never wants to forget. The symbolic memorial stones may serve as a reminder of something to look forward to in the future. They may be a reminder of a specific friendship or relationship like a bracelet or a wedding ring. The stone can be anything you want it to be really.
Memorial stones can be photographs. That is why I love to take pictures with my camera because photos can usually describe people, events, and places much better than words can. Plus, photos are easy to share and good storytellers. A memorial stone should be something that you can share with others and future generations.
Another memorial stone I have is a purity necklace. It is a reminder that I will stay pure until marriage no matter what. This stone is especially significant because when I received the necklace, I made a promise to God that nothing would happen until my wedding night.
One of my favorite childhood stones was the game ball I received after one of my eighth grade baseball games. That ball is a reminder of my hard work, effort, and the practice it took to be a better player. The ball is a great way for me to remember my accomplishment and what I did to receive and earn the game ball.
I have created blogs that serve as memorial stones of my writing. The blogs serve to show me my improvement and potential as a writer. Those blogs help me to stay focused on my goals and not to give up on my dreams.
There are a lot of memorial stones that I have not mentioned like ticket stubs, sports trophies, autographed baseballs, and even sentimental items such as antiques from grandparents.
However, I think there is one memorial stone greater than them all and that is the cross. The cross is the greatest reminder we can have. It is the place where Jesus laid down his life in order to save this world from sin. The cross helps us remember how much God really loves each and every one of us. Jesus is the living sacrifice.
Next time you go through a difficult time in your life remember the cross. Jesus suffered and was persecuted by many with insults and physical beatings just so we can be saved and spend eternal life with Him. If you are going through hardships and feel like giving up, you need to remember the cross and the ultimate penalty Jesus paid. Problems and crises in life are God's way of saying he cares about you because crises are what drive your faith forward and bring you closer to God in a righteous relationship.
When you look at the cross, remind yourself of what Jesus did for you, do not stop believing in troubling times, and be a Christ-like example towards others in order to see yourself walking side by side with Jesus Christ in a perfect, holy relationship.
If you liked reading this, check out the youtube video I attached of the song called, "The Old Rugged Cross." I heard this song for the first time this year(2010) at my church. I think this song goes very well with this blog post. Plus, I like finding songs that match up with what I am writing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CltrLsjsQl0
No comments:
Post a Comment