Thursday, July 15, 2010

How I find blogging/writing ideas

If you have read through many of the blog posts on this website, you probably notice that I write about a wide variety of crazy, random, and interesting topics. I have noticed that too. I have written about everything from the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico to a story about my cat.

So, how do I find ideas to write about? Honestly, about 90% of the time I really do not know where an idea came from. Sometimes, I will grab a pen and paper, and I will not stop writing. I will just write whatever is on my mind. I go to the park, my room, or wherever it is quiet and begin writing down my thoughts, ideas, opinions, values, and beliefs.

Other times, my ideas come from specific sources of inspiration. If you have a hard time trying to write a paper, a blog post, or a note, listen to the lyrics carefully to some of your favorite songs. There are plenty of songs out there that have hidden, deep meanings that you can uncover with your writing. Sharing my thoughts about topics from songs has inspired me, and I hope they inspire anyone who reads them. Some of the songs and artists/bands that have inspired my writing are "Temporary Home" by Carrie Underwood, "Daylight is Coming" by Remedy Drive, "The Old Rugged Cross," and even my own piano composition, "Still With Me."

Taking clips from movies is another source of inspiration. Films have powerful messages. If they did not have meaning, no one would watch them or even make them. Everybody likes movies. Everyone has different values, beliefs, and thoughts about movies. When you walk into the theater and view a movie, each person leaves the auditorium with just a slightly different impression and understanding of the movie. I use popular movies like "Invictus," "The Blind Side," and "August Rush" as starting points for my writing when I get writer's block because one comment about a movie can start a chain of responses from multiple points of view. More important, films help discover something about yourself, especially if you can somehow relate to the film. Even though films are part of the virtual world, they can tell you some deeper meaning about life and the world around you with the messages they portray.

Another good source of inspiration for my writing is to find things in my life that might be symbolic of some idea, concept, lesson, or meaning. Symbols are all around us, especially in nature. Take a walk, and you can think of many symbols because the meanings of symbols are personal and vary from person to person. For example, climbing a mountain to me is symbolic of the difficulties, troubles, and suffering we all face in life. I think of moving a mountain to be symbolic of being able to do anything through Jesus Christ who strengthens me (miracles do happen). Start with any object or item here on earth, and begin writing from there.

By far, my biggest and best ideas come from God's Word. His word is the absolute truth. Everything you need to know about life is in the Bible. Perhaps, I will read a passage, and I will not understand it. I do not like memorizing the facts in the Bible. When I read it, I seek the deeper meanings in the words because every single word in the Bible has a purpose for being there. So, when I do not understand something the first time I read it, I read it again and again. Sometimes, I begin writing about the passage I read because that usually helps me open up new doors of knowledge and understanding of what I just read. Writing about God's Word helps me to see the bigger picture in all the areas of my life. It helps me to see the better things ahead, and it helps me to see how I can be used for God's purpose. Opening up the Bible is not about how much I know. It is about how much I grow in my relationship with Jesus. I am very shy, and I do not like to share my opinion out loud, but rather, I can open up to people with my writing, which is generally more comfortable for me. Jesus Christ is my number one inspiration for writing and for trying to become a better writer.

Writing. Anyone can write. It is important in life no matter how good you are. Writing is not about trying to receive an A on a paper. It is not about trying to write up a speech, so you can pass history class. No. It is about sharing opinions, telling stories, reaching out to people, informing about the news around the world, communicating with loved ones, and much more. Writing a letter can make some one's day when that person receives it in the mail. For me, receiving a letter in the mail is much more special than receiving an e-mail message that arrives in less than thirty seconds. You do not have to be a best-selling author or a famous musician to write. All you need is some paper and a pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment