So, I am entering my sophomore year at the University of Minnesota, and I still do not know my major. College is tough. There are so many options available. There are so many roads and paths to take. Which opportunity do I pursue? What do I want to do for the rest of my life? These are just some of the many stressful, struggling questions that I and most college students face. The ultimate decision is mine, but I feel like I am getting no where with that decision. I know I should not worry because God will provide and knows my future, but seriously, college is not cheap.
I only have one more year left until I absolutely need to declare my major. So, what do I do? This summer, I have been doing research on three different majors that interest me: Scientific and Technical Communication, Journalism, and Mathematics. They all seem like really good fits for me. I like both writing and math. These subjects are what come easy to me and what I am good at.
Picking a major should be about following your heart, achieving your goals and dreams, and exploring a passion. Picking a major is not about the money. You should not worry about how much money you will make after college in your career. Pick a major that you enjoy because the career you choose will be there for the next 20-30 years. Do something you love and is worthwhile to you.
90% of Americans hate their jobs. In fact, most heart attacks occur on Monday morning between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. because adults have to wake up, start their week, and do something they hate doing. Money is important, but it is not everything. When considering a major, journal or ponder about this for awhile: if money did not exist, what would you enjoy doing for free? You know that you picked the right career path when you realize your passion. Everyone has unique talents, abilities, gifts, and skills (T.A.G.S.). Everybody uses their T.A.G.S. (a term used by Jermaine Davis, a very popular college motivational speaker) in different ways. Some people have the skills to be teachers, even though pay is not that good. Some have talents to be doctors, lawyers, writers, and architects. Others have abilities to be secretaries, police officers, or engineers.
If you pick a major you are really interested in, you will enjoy your time in school a lot more. Classes will be more exciting, challenging, and worth your time. You may be only in college for four or five years, but you will have a career for the next thirty or forty years. Be a part of the 10% of Americans who love what they are doing.
Once you pick a major, life does not get any easier. Some majors are harder than others. You have to work for your major and be determined so you can fulfill your dreams and goals. With college, comes sacrifice. A rule of thumb in college is that every hour you are in class, you should expect to spend two to three hours outside of class studying and doing homework. If you want to receive an A, you have to study more than than two hours. You must learn how to manage your time. Manage your time around classes and not around other activities or events.
You must have a vision of where you want to go. Helen Keller once said, "What's worse than being blind, is when you have sight, but no vision." Make a plan and stick by it. Your vision is a road map inside of your brain that tells you in what direction you are going in. Make goals and dreams for yourself, so you can have something to achieve and look forward to in the future. The time and effort you put into learning about something you love now will determine how well you can use your talents, abilities, gifts, and skills in a future career you will enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment