Sunday, March 13, 2011

What does it mean to be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God?

I was reading Scripture this morning from Ephesians 3:14-21, and I came across a verse I do not quite understand. I kept wondering about what it might mean. I still do not understand it. However, I started thinking about it, and I started wondering if this verse is even understandable for a human being. Maybe, it is beyond human comprehension, or perhaps, I just need to dig further into God's Word to try to decode and figure out this meaning. The passage was:

"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21.

The verse that I did not quite understand was verse 19: "that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." What does it mean to be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God? What is the fullness of God? Is it something humans can comprehend and attain? Do I need to search God's Word more to figure out what the fullness of God really means? These are just my thoughts about something I read this morning before going to church.

1 comment:

  1. your writing makes me smile :) you make me smile. i love your ideas, this has inspired me. I think that it really is incomprehendable. We know that God loves us and the He is powerful. But how powerful? There is no measure. He is infinately powerful and loves us infinately. We trust and know that he loves us so much and we love Him, but His love cannot be measured or for that matter completely understood. I struggle with knowing and understanding Him and His love completely. I want to understand and be fully connected. I pray that I will be able understand completely, but that may never happen until we reach heaven. His love is overwhelming. At my grandmas funeral, I cried not only because i was grieving a loss, but more so because i could feel God's love on me and my family and my grandma who is now in heaven because of God's love. It is so overwhelming, yet i could not feel all of His love because it is impossible because of its power and vastness. I totally agree with you about the complexity and wonder. Now that i think about it, i believe His love cannot be completely understood because it is so amazing. "This love surpasses knowledge" "it is more than we can imagine" -ephesians 3 "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" -philippians 4:7

    ReplyDelete