Saturday, April 17, 2010
Soccer: The Battle to be Won
The fall of 2008 was the start of my senior year in high school. As well, it was my final season playing soccer on a team. I believe soccer is the greatest game ever invented, and I think it is safe to say that the whole world agrees with me. I really wanted to be on a good team that year and win every game. That did not happen. My team lost every single game that fall. I was so disappointed and mad. Since I was the oldest on the team and was the captain, I have to take most of the responsibity for the team's shortcomings. I was on a team with a group of sophomores. I knew that being older meant I had to be a leader. I had to lead by example. I had to encourage my teammates and not put them down. Every single game, I arrived an hour before game time. I was the first one there, and the last one to leave for every single game and for every single practice. I never gave up on a play. I always pushed myself harder and harder as the season progressed. I organized people into positions before the games. I knew how to have fun on the soccer field, but most important, I knew how to get things done. Being the captain of my 12th grade soccer team was a defining moment in my life. But, that year was not the best either. I value sportsmanship deeply, but looking back on that season, I did not have much of it. This is partially due to the fact that I was born to be super competitive with other people in whatever I do. The soccer field is where I released my anger and aggression. Instead of releasing anger in shooting the ball, I released my aggression on my teammates, opponents, coaches, parents, fans, and refs. I am deeply, deeply sorry. I take full responsibility for being a bad sport in the game of soccer. I ruined the experience to play for many. I know what I did was wrong, and it hurt the team throughout the season. I did not know what I was thinking. I want to apologize to the parents, fans, and spectators who heard my swearing, who heard my put downs, and saw my anger. I want to apologize to my teammates for not having enough fun, for taking things too seriously, and for not encouraging and helping them when they needed it. I apologize to the coaches (mine and the opponent's) for ruining the fun and the excitement and the art in the game of soccer. I am sorry for not giving coaches the respect they deserve to have fully. I want to say sorry to the refs for putting up with me. I am sorry for talking back and not respecting their calls. Refs are in the position of authority for soccer. I am sorry for my choices. I apologize to my opponents for those who I have hurt physically or emotionally. I am sorry for not being a good sport. I am sorry for ruining the game for my opponents with my words, my actions, my behavior, and my bad sportsmanship. I have enjoyed playing soccer for most of my life. I am proud of the contributions I have made to this game and the positive influence I have had on other people. Just like in soccer, I hope to make positive experiences with the people around me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment