Sunday, June 13, 2010

Movie Theaters: Powerful, Communal Experience

If there is one thing you should know about me is that I love to watch movies. I love to spend time with friends viewing a film at home or in theaters. I prefer to watch movies in a theater. It is the ultimate experience. The movie theater is my favorite place to go. I can relax and enjoy myself. Once I enter the theater, all my worries, troubles, and stress leave my mind and my body. I can turn off my phone not worrying about calling or texting people. There are no distractions from life and the people around me. The theater has such a calming, soothing effect on me. Sometimes, I get so wrapped up in a movie that I think it is real. Other times, I will think the events are actually happening that I will show my emotions. Music plays a huge part in making the movie seem so real and alive. Some good examples of movies that I have recently seen where music has a big role include, "The Last Song," and "August Rush." In the "Last Song," music was used to create emotion. Music played a similar role in "August Rush," but I really enjoyed this movie because the entire film was about music. Another thing I like about the movie theater is that it is a communal place. Once I enter the auditorium, I sit down and watch the movie just like everyone else. Everyone around me purchased the same ticket as I did, and everybody will experience the same effects from beginning to end. The movie theater is a community experience. Most people in the room will laugh at the comic parts, cry during death or love scenes, and be frightened at violent, horror films. Most people when they enter a theater room enter into a whole new world. They enter into something I like to call a suspension of disbelief. Movie goers get so caught up in what is taking place in the movie that they lose focus on reality. People have the belief that movies are a reality. It is like they enter a trance-like state, and then when they leave the theater, reality hits them like a tidal wave. This is probably why I enjoy seeing movies so much because I am one of those people. I feel like I am actually in the movie. I forget that I am just sitting in a stadium seat eating popcorn and drinking soda. There is one movie that I have seen in theaters twice that has had a powerful effect on me. That movie is "Blind Side." I saw this movie the same weekend it came to theaters. The theater room was packed both times I saw it. This was truly a communal experience. Everyone laughed when SJ said or did something hilarious. People started crying when Ms. Tuohy gave Michael a bed for the first time in his life. For me, this was a powerful scene in the movie. During the entire film, I let go of reality, and entered into an alter-reality. Another movie I really enjoyed was "Invictus." This movie was awesome because all of the South Africans, despite past experiences, came together as one nation to cheer on their Rugby team to victory. It was inspiring and breath-taking. Normally, I do not comment on actors, but no one else could have played Nelson Mandela any better than Morgan Freeman. Also, Matt Damon was the perfect choice to play the role of the captain of the team. All of the movies I have mentioned so far would be considered personal favorites and recommendations for other people who have not seen them yet. In the end, besides playing sports, watching movies in theaters in one of my favorite pastimes. I will admit that the price of admission and concessions can be quite high. Also, the pre-show ads can get quite ridiculous. Once the movie starts, I forget about all that and have a good time with friends. Movie theaters relax the soul, create a bond between strangers who have never met before, and give us a dimension to a whole new world where we can have multiple adventures with limitless possibilities and opportunities. Viewing movies has helped me become more of a creative writer both for my music and for my writings. Movie theaters are the ultimate experience. They help remind us to have fun in this short life. Wherever you travel to, theaters are all around the world. Sit back and enjoy movies. The movie theater is my favorite place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment